Sights in Budapest
ST. FRANCIS OF ASSISI PARISH
Hungary > Central Hungary > Budapest
The style is eclectic,
three-nave, historical church with transept layout, with tower in front of the facade. The church was built by Miklós Ybl between 1867 and 1879 in French Romanesque style. In the decoration of the largest and most beautiful temple of the Ferencvaros took part Alajos Stróbl (created St. Francis statue on the outside wall), Mór Than, Károly Lotz (made the magnificent frescoes) and Béni Ferenczy.
The church was consecrated
in 1879 by Archbishop János Simon, whose coat of arms can still be seen on the main altar. Under the building there is a Neo-Romanesque cross-nave church with columns, moreover, there are three bells in the nearly 70-meter-high church.